Labels

March 16, 2011

To Blog or Not To Blog...

Blogging can be fun and inspiring, but it can also be intimidating. This is not my first blog, but it is the only one I've attempted in about seven years, and it is the only one I've actually hoped to share with others outside of my circle of friends and family. It is also the only blog I've started with the hopes of starting a business!

Fatdogbeads had a post featured on Handmade Spark  about actively entering the blogging foray as a regular blogger. She talks about the reasons excuses she has found not to blog, as well as the very good reasons that she should. I found myself relating to a lot of what she mentioned, and I find myself making some of the same excuses. But, like her, I'm determined!

So far, one of my biggest barriers to blogging is when my ideas occur to me. Since I started this blog a month ago, I've had some really good ideas come to me - during the most inopportune times! I have great ideas driving down the road at 70 mph, while I'm washing my hair in the shower and mentally following rabbit trails, or when I'm at my full-time job (when I'm supposed to be working on someone else's work, not mine).

Another barrier is that I want to make things based on some of my findings in the blogosphere. I've found some great DIY projects that I can't wait to try out and put my own spin on so I can post about them. Right now I've got a list of about five projects I want to blog about, but I'm still working (in what little spare time I have) on building my inventory for my ArtFire studio. Some of the blog projects will hopefully end up good enough to sell, but there are no guarantees when you are trying new techniques out for the first time!

But I know that blogging will help my business aspirations. I'll be able to chronicle my work, the interesting things I find from other artisans and crafters, and hopefully provide inspiration to others.

Like Fatdogbeads, I also promise to blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment