Labels

March 18, 2011

House Hunting

Time for a small detour in my topics. My husband and I got married in November and are currently in the market to purchase our first home. It is both exciting and a bit scary at the same time. I can't wait to have my own place with walls I can paint whatever color I like and just generally feel like it's mine. Not to mention, after living in a one bedroom apartment for the past five years, we are ready for a little extra space.

Our current apartment is actually pretty cool. We live in downtown Raleigh within walking distance to everything our growing downtown has to offer, including a cupcake shop about 25 steps from our front door (yes, dangerous!). At the same time, our street is quiet despite being in the thick of it, and we have become spoiled with the combination of being able to walk home from a bar and still get some sleep at night without a ton of city noise. We are hoping to find a house in downtown that still allows us to walk to many of the places we enjoy, yet our modest budget certainly limits our options.

Our current building is over 100 years old and was renovated just over 10 years ago, so it is a great combination of old house charm and modern conveniences (can you say dishwasher? Yay!). It has high ceilings, lovely hardwood floors, those old heavy doors through which sound cannot penetrate, and glass doorknobs. These little details add so much character to a dwelling, and I just love them. The majority of apartments that I have lived in have been similar, and I would love to find these same details in the house we eventually purchase.

But as great as our apartment is, it is only a one bedroom, and well, we need more space! Both of us are creative and crafty people, and our living room and dining room table are always morphing into studio and workshop. This kind of hinders things like watching TV on the couch or eating dinner. Hm. So it is time for something bigger, and ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment