Labels

February 28, 2012

Hemmorhaging Money

I knew that buying a house would mean spending more money that I am comfortable with (sorry, I'm frugal almost to a fault). But I have felt like I've been bleeding money for the past six months!

First was a deposit, which we paid in two installments. Then we starting buying stuff. Our builder does have a standard set of items that you get to choose from; instead, he has allocations for each item and we got to choose our items as we wished. Anything that we purchased on our own would be credited back to us at closing, so we started purchasing a few items when there were sales, since we were approaching the holiday season.

We bought pendant lights, a sink and then the big one - appliances. My husband is a veteran and was able to get a discount (on top of sale prices) on our appliances, so we couldn't pass up the opportunity to get $4,000 worth of appliances for $2,500. It was funny to think we owned appliances before we even owned a house to put them in, but the store let us schedule our delivery as far into the future as possible.

Now we just have to look forward to the true bloodletting when we go to closing. The thought of laying out a good chunk of my life's savings  and still having a huge 30-year debt is killing me! I have been debt-free for years, and it is honestly freaking me out.

How did you feel when you bought your first house? Are you as daunted by the whole idea of a mortgage as I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment